For the crumble topping:
● 95g Plain flour
● 60g Caster sugar
● 60g Unsalted butter at room temperature, cut into pieces
● 1tsp Ground cinnamon
● 95g Rolled porridge oats (toasted)
● 25g Hazelnuts (crushed)
● 30g Mixed seeds―we used sunflower, pumpkin and linseed
For the filling:
● 150g Braeburn apple
● 150g Cooking apple
● 30g Unsalted butter
● 30g Demerara sugar
● 115g Blackberries
● ¼ tsp Ground cinnamon
1. Heat oven to 190c / 170c fan / gas 5. Tip the flour and caster sugar into a large bowl.
2. Add the butter to the flour and sugar, then rub together using your fingertips to make a light breadcrumb texture. Tip: Do not overwork it or the crumble will become heavy.
3. Mix the cinnamon through the mixture with a fork then sprinkle evenly over a baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes or until lightly coloured and put to one side.
4. Now toast the oats for 5 minutes in a hot dry pan. Once cooled combine the oats with the crushed hazelnuts and mixed seeds and add to the crumble mixture.
5. Meanwhile for the filling, peel, core and cut the apples
into 2cm dice.
6. Put the butter and demerara sugar in a medium saucepan and melt together over a medium heat. Cook for 3 minutes until the mixture turns to a light caramel.
7. Stir in the apples and cook for 3 minutes. Add the blackberries and ground cinnamon and cook for a further 3 minutes.
8. Remove from the heat, cover and leave for 2-3 minutes to continue cooking in the warmth of the pan.
9. Spoon the warm fruit into an ovenproof dish and top with the crumble mix, then bake in the oven for 5-10 minutes.
10. Serve warm with thick custard.