● 1 x Butternut squash
● 500 g Barley
● 200g Long stem broccoli
● 200g Fresh beetroot
● 100g Shallots
● Olive Oil
● Salt and Pepper
1. Pre heat our oven to 200c
2. Peel and de-seed your squash
Cut into 8 pieces
3. Toss the squash in a little melted butter with a glug of olive oil and season well.
4. Place on a baking sheet and bake hard for no more than 8 minutes. This will ensure the squash does not go too mushy.
5. Peel and dice your beetroot and shallow fry in olive oil for around 5-10 minutes on a moderate heat.
6. Cook the barley in a pan of boiling salted water or in veg stock for around 25-30 minutes. Drain and chill ready for assembly.
7. Trim and lightly cook the broccoli in salted boiling water for around 5-6 minutes.
8. Assemble the salad.
9. Thinly slice your shallots, and mix with the barley, beets and broccoli. Rip the squash into nice sized mouthful pieces and add to the salad. Drizzle with olive oil